Thursday, May 21, 2015

Divine inspiration of the Bible

A question I've been pondering since a recent read.

Note the words love in the passage John 21:15-17 the first two times agape is the Greek word used and the last time phileo. All of these times are translated love (in this translation) but are two different words in the Greek.

Here is the question/statement.
Are the word differences important in interpretation or are they just synonymns without any difference?
How we answer this to a certain extent determines how closely we hold to divine inspiration of the Word of God. 

John 21:15-17
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.

The word differences absolutely matter. God did not just at random have words put in His Word. It is divinely inspired in the original manuscripts down to the very jot and tittles.

To say there is no difference is akin to saying love and like have no difference in meaning.

This question/thought is from "Evangelical Hermeneutics" by Robert Thomas which in chapter 8 covers this in an excellent fashion. It will get one thinking about how much one holds to divine inspiriation.

No comments:

Post a Comment